Monday, July 2, 2012

Raspberry Brownie Ice Cream Pie


We were all gathered around a big fire, beer in hand, chatting away on a warm semi-summer night, when my sister announced she was going to bed.
"Wait!" I hollered "I've got sparklers!"  It was Canada day after all.  Darkness had crept in and suddenly it was quarter after eleven.  We all circled in the front yard around the lone lighter and squealed with delight as our sparklers took flame.  We waved them about in fervert excitement until the last spark dissipated.  Then I brought out the big gun, a sparkler that sat on the ground and was lit with a wick.  None of us had played with this before. We sat it in the center of the drive way, lit it and took a few large steps back.  Suddenly the neighborhood erupted in noise, the sharp squeal and sparks that shot out from this little container had us covering our ears.  I looked up and down the street, waiting for our neighbors to peek out their windows. I was laughing, I was grimacing.  We were staring at this spectacle of noise and light, I was wishing for it to stop and for it last forever.

"Sorry cranky neighbor next door," I mumbled, "sorry children sleeping in the house across the street."  A car stops midway down the road to watch.  Finally the noise subsides, the can burns out.  Both my horrified and exhilarated faces combined, I probably looked like a clown.  As we slunk into the backyard to gather around the fire again, we whispered our excitement and all vowed to do it again next year.

Baking notes:
-This pie was terrific!  I loved the combination of raspberry ice cream and brownie.  The brownies themselves weren't too sweet, but each slice came out well balanced.
-I made the recipe exactly as specified, except the amounts of ice cream.  Since it was hard to measure out I do believe I used less than called for.
-The pie was incredible hard to eat.  It is necessary to wait for the ice cream to soften a little before digging in, but the truffle layer stays hard the longest, you'll have to stab through the layer anyway.
-The melted warm truffle sauce drizzled on at the end was not very useful, it hardened almost immediately.

You can find the recipe for Raspberry Brownie Ice Cream Pie on this website.

15/569

No comments:

Post a Comment