Saturday, July 14, 2012

Triple Chocolate Celebration Cake

"Something kinda chocolate-y or something super chocolate?" I asked my sister.  I had promised her a fondant cake (a strange obsession of hers) but backed out of it last minute, too much work.  I swore that the cake I made would be even better.
"Super chocolate!" She messaged back.  It was settled then, I'd be making a triple chocolate celebration cake.

The cake took two days to prepare and a seeming metric tonne of chocolate, but in the end I had two beautiful cakes, layered with mousse and a thick ganache, enough for twenty or so people!  It was delicious, light and dense, dark and chocolate-y.  I shared it with almost everyone I knew!  It went down very well, especially with a mound of raspberries and tayberries on top.

Happy Birthday Sister!

Baking notes:
-I didn't use chocolate chips as called for in the cakes, though it would have been a nice addition.
-I made 8 inch cakes, after each layer was cut in two there were six layers.  The recipe calls for only three layers in the cake, which means this makes two three layer cakes.  A lot if you ask me!
-I thought the cake was a bit dry, I would watch the baking times closer next time.
-The mousse firms up a considerable amount in the fridge, it becomes harder to spread.
-The ganache layer was beautiful, first I made a crumb coating and then went around and made a nice smooth surface.
-I did not use the transfer sheet that the recipe indicated.  There is no where in my small town that sells them and the cost of shipping them as well as the chances of them breaking in transit, it wasn't worth it.

You can find the recipe for Triple Chocolate Celebration Cake on the epicurious website.

16/569

No comments:

Post a Comment