Thursday, August 9, 2012

Vanilla Shortbread Cookies


Have you been watching the Olympics?  I've seen snippets here and there, when its on the tv at work.  It's fun to glance into another reality like this every once and a while, where all the drama in the world comes to a standstill and we just play sport.  I'd get bored though, watching too much of it and I'd eat an awful lot of cookies sitting on the couch.  But I'd like to hand a prize to each an every loser, a sort of consolation prize if you will, a cookie.  Maybe not these cookies, I know I've got better cookies in my repertoire.  Like my chocolate chip cookies, or maybe my chocolate gingerbread cookies for the winter Olympics.  Nothing helps the hurt go down like sugar, or maybe that's just me.

These cookies are okay, though I find them quite tough for a supposedly tender shortbread.  I was very careful not to over mix them, I wanted that butter-y crumbly traditional shortbread.  But alas it was not.  Instead the cookies have a bit of chew to them.  They are very buttery, and if I had used the fancy butter it called for, the results would have been even better.  So in the end, if I wanted shortbread cookies again, I'd find another recipe.

Baking notes:
-The cookies were very easy to put together.  They came together beautifully.
-I used regular (if not crappy) butter and the taste was marvelous, I can only imagine how much better it would be with a fancy european butter.
-I'm sad that I can never keep the wonderful round shape of the log when cutting rolled cookies, they turned into a lumpy circle.

You can find the recipe for vanilla shortbread cookies on the epicurious website.

24/569

No comments:

Post a Comment