Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mixed-Nut Spiced Toffee


So you've heard of the project 12 weeks of Christmas cookies right?  The idea that you start now to freeze cookies, so at Christmas you can pull them out when you need them, thus eliminating stress during the holidays.  I've done the project before, but like last time I use it as an excuse to make cookies, not as a freezer stocking tactic.  What can I say, I love to bake!  Now you'll notice I'm starting a week late, that's because I wasn't sure I wanted to do this again, it seems waaaay to early to be thinking Christmas already.  But in flipping through the book I've decided there are more than enough recipes fitting for the holiday season that I could use an excuse to make.  And so here we are, Week 2 of 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies(&Candy)!

I'm going to keep is short and sweet. This recipe rocks!  It's fairly easy, not too technical. It doesn't taste at all like the toffee you buy in tins, it's much, MUCH better.  It tastes unique, like something you've never had before, but all too familiar at the same time.  I really love it, and I know some lucky people will at Christmas time too!

Baking notes:
-I made a half batch, because no matter how good it is, there are still only two of us.  It was a very easy recipe to divide.
-My thermometer hovered around the 220 F mark for a long time, but eventually it did make it to 290 F.  Totally worth the 20 minutes at the stove.
-I used blackstrap molasses for a really dark intense flavour, and it came out amazing.
-I really can't get enough of this!

36/569

The recipe for Mixed-Nut Spiced Toffee is available on the epicurious website.

No comments:

Post a Comment